The word Shunya means zero or sky in Sanskrit. This Shunya Mudra or Sky Mudra is supposed to work on the basic element of ether that permeates all space.
- Bend the middle finger so that its tip rests on the mound of your thumb.
- Bend your thumb until it presses lightly on the middle finger. All other fingers should point straight up to the sky.
- Keep the middle finger at the mount of Venus and press it with the thumb.
- This Mudra can be performed for 45 minutes every day or can be performed in three sessions of 15 minutes each.
- The Shunya Mudra is usually performed with both hands.
Time Duration: One can practice it for 40 to 60 minutes daily until to be cured from the disease.
- It relieves an earache within 4 or 5 minutes.
- It is useful for the deaf and mentally challenged, but not for inborn ones.
- It reduces the dullness in our body.
- Cures mental illness (if not inborn )
The word Gyan means wisdom in Sanskrit. Thus, practicing the Gyan Mudra is believed to help instill wisdom and spiritual enlightenment.
This is why the Gyan Mudra is widely used in many yogic meditation poses such as Pranayama. The Gyan Mudra is also known as the Chin Mudra.
Steps of doing Gyan Mudra :
The Gyan Mudra should ideally be performed along with meditation asanas and Pranayama. Here are the steps of Gyan Mudra:
- Sit down in a meditative pose such as the Sukha Asana (Easy Pose), Vajra Asana (Diamond Pose), or Padma Asana (Lotus Pose). You may even perform the Gyan Mura while standing in the Tada Asana (Mountain Pose) or sitting comfortably on a chair.
- Ensure that your back is held straight and your chest and head held up high.
- Rest your hands on your knees with your palms facing upwards.
- Touch the tip of the index finger to the tip of the thumb.
- The rest of the finger should be held straight and parallel to each other. This Mudra is performed with both hands.
- Close your eyes and focus on your breath.
To further enhance the effectiveness of the Gyan Mudra, you may chant the word Om (Aum) in conjunction with every exhale.